The BC SUPPORT Unit Fraser Centre provides support to Fraser Health researchers to conduct patient-oriented research. Meet Rableen Nagra, the Patient Engagement Specialist.
Engaging people with personal experience of our health care system as partners in research helps us provide high quality care and services to our patients, clients and residents.
Rableen combines her experience in non-profit management with a Masters in Health Care Leadership. With expertise in community and stakeholder engagement, and outreach, she is well-positioned to support patient engagement in our region.
What is patient engagement?
Patient engagement involves working with patients along a spectrum ranging from consultation to empowerment to improve health care. By patients, we mean individuals with personal experience of the health system including informal caregivers, such as family and friends.
What is patient-oriented research?
Research that engages patients as partners, focuses on patient-identified priorities, and is conducted by multidisciplinary teams in partnership with stakeholders.
Who can access these services?
Fraser Health clinicians, decision makers, patients and researchers interested in patient-oriented research.
What patient engagement services are available?
Services could include:
- Consultation to identify your patient engagement goals and objectives
- Support for drafting and editing of patient partner volunteer postings
- Facilitate recruitment of patient partners
- Orientation and contact person for patient partners on research teams
- Training and capacity-building for researchers, clinicians and patient partners
- Assistance with patient engagement plans for grant applications
These patient engagement supports can help you recruit the ideal patient partner so that you can meaningfully engage and conduct patient-oriented research to improve health care.