Written by Tiffany Chui, Portfolio Manager, Mobile Health

As part of ongoing upgrades to wireless networks across our sites, Fraser Health has partnered with the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Medicine to offer an education roaming wireless service called eduroam.

Learners and researchers from UBC, the University of Queensland, the University of Copenhagen, University of Quebec à Montreal and thousands of other university experts who visit Fraser Health each year can now access their remote files and programs using eduroam, seamlessly managing their work and research remotely.

The international wireless network allows researchers, students and medical faculty visiting our sites to access their work easily over Wi-Fi by logging into their network using the same credentials as they would use in their home institution. It’s available in over 70 countries and 17,000 locations worldwide.

It’s one more example of how we are leveraging wireless connectivity in our facilities to ensure we support innovative health care, health education and research. In today’s connected world, having reliable and effective wireless connectivity is crucial – not only to health care providers but also to our patients, families and guests, to ensure we continue to enhance their experience at our sites.

“Eduroam has been very beneficial when I teach residents,” said Dr. Jan Pearce, Assessment Faculty Lead, who works at Surrey Memorial Hospital’s South Fraser UBC Family Practice Residency program. “It has been extremely helpful,” agreed Gigi Tuet, a second-year resident in the hospital’s South Fraser UBC Family Practice Residency program, explaining how eduroam enabled her work. “Sometimes patients bring in medications or supplements from overseas and we need to look it up. There are some dead areas in buildings where there is no reception thus no cellular data, only Wi-Fi.”

Currently, eduroam is active at Chilliwack General, Royal Columbian, Surrey Memorial and Delta Hospitals. Fraser Health’s network team and UBC’s network team worked together to bring these sites online. There are plans to expand to Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Mission Memorial Hospital, Fraser Canyon Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital and Burnaby Hospital.

Since it was rolled out earlier this year, eduroam has been very successful. In July, eduroam users made a total of 18,256 user connections at Delta Hospital, with 106 unique devices connected. The majority – 56 per cent – of these users were UBC students, faculty or staff, and the remaining 44 per cent were from other institutions including the University of Laval, Quebec, and University of Lisbon, Spain.

Fraser Health has been rapidly upgrading wireless internet networks across our sites to enable better patient communications and improved employee workflow and access to digital applications. Over the past few years, we have enabled Wi-Fi at six hospitals, with planning under way for the next phase of Wi-Fi roll out at Royal Columbian Hospital and at nearly 70 non-acute Fraser Health sites, to enable public health and primary and community care programs. Read more about current Wi-Fi roll out across our sites.

For more information regarding eduroam, and to watch a video on how it works please visit it.ubc.ca/eduroam or call UBC support at 1-877-266-0666 and press 4 for eduroam.

If you have questions about current Wi-Fi work or future plans, please contact the Wireless Advisory Group, wirelessadvisorygroup@fraserhealth.ca.


comments powered by Disqus